Welcome to /fg/lt/, or as I've recently taken to calling it, /fg+lt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.
There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:
- Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
- Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
- Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
- Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux
Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.
Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.
Check out the IRC guide in case you want more real-time discussion.
For any official announcements or appeals to staff, please join the mailing list. If you are new to the concept of mailing lists, read the instructions on how to use it on the ML site.
man<insert command here>
- Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
- https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
- More resources (formerly found in the pastas) on the Resources page